Utah is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). As a participating SARA institution, Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions (RMUoHP) abides by established standards for offering post-secondary distance education in all member states. The Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education (OCHE) has jurisdiction over Utah SARA-approved institutions, including RMUoHP, in relation to non-instructional complaints. Students who have a complaint against RMUoHP should first file a complaint with the institution by following the Complaint Process.

If RMUoHP does not resolve the complaint, students may file a complaint with the Utah Board of Regents at The Board of Regents will only consider complaints that were previously unresolved by the institution and may refer a complaint to another agency for investigation. Students may also file complaints with the University’s regional accrediting body, the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities at 8060 165th Avenue N.E., Suite 100, Redmond, WA 98052; phone 425-558-4224; website

State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement

The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) is an agreement among member states, districts and territories that establish comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. State authorization is a legal term for a University’s compliance with individual statutes and regulations in each state in which it operates, has a physical presence or engages in educational services and programs.

Professional Prelicensure Distance Education Requirements

Important Note for Prospective and Current Students: There may be restrictions and additional state expectations in certain SARA and non-SARA states regarding internships and practicums in professional programs leading to initial licensure. SARA does not deal with professional licensing board approval for programs leading to state licensing in fields in healthcare.

If you are considering an academic program that leads to a professional license in your home state, it is highly recommended that you first seek guidance from the appropriate licensing agency in your state before beginning the academic program located outside your state to confirm whether a RMUoHP program will meet the requirements for licensure in that state. It is your responsibility to understand current circumstances or special requirements in your state of residence.

Current SARA Authorization Status by State: