LAST UPDATED: 11/2022. Applicable to all new students except the PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT (PA) program. For
the PA program technology policy, click here.
Background and Purpose
The healthcare industry is heavily reliant on technology and on providers who are proficient in utilizing technology. As a result, Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions requires extensive utilization of electronic devices for its programs. The purpose of this document is to define minimum technology requirements for students to ensure they are equipped with the hardware and software necessary to facilitate their participation and success in all facets of their education.
Students are required to secure a personal computer for use during the course of their studies that adheres to the below minimum requirements.
Operating System (OS)
- For PC: Windows 10
- For Mac: macOS 11 (Big Sur) or higher
- Processor: Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 or better
- Memory: 8 GB or more
- Storage: 128 GB Flash Solid-State Drive (256GB or more recommended)
- Display: 13 inches or larger (retina display 12-inch is acceptable)
- WiFi Connectivity: 802.11ac or higher
- Camera: Built-in high resolution (720p or better), internal or external.
Recommendations If Buying New
Examples of PC laptops that adhere to the required specifications above include:
Apple offers educational discounts for students. Make sure to shop via their Education Store to receive the discount. Models adhering to the above specifications are:
- Your computer must have these systems installed:
- Adobe PDF Reader = https://get.adobe.com/reader/
- An anti-virus program. If you don’t already have one installed, we recommend= https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools.aspx Note: You should have only ONE anti-virus program installed; multiple installations can be troublesome.
- As a student at RMUoHP, you will be provided with:
- MS Office 365 license for the Microsoft Office products, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, both online and as downloaded apps on your Mac or PC laptop.
- G Suite Enterprise for Education account which grants you full availability to all G Suite productivity apps.
- Panopto screencasting license, video storage, and sharing capabilities.
- Your computer must have these systems installed:
High Speed Internet
- The connection should be a Cable/DSL broadband connection or better. We recommend having a minimum of 10 mbps download and 2 mbps upload. You can check your download and upload speeds at http://www.speedtest.net.
- Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) must be reliable. Please note that wireless connections can be unstable; wired Ethernet connections should be used whenever possible. If the speed of your connection is inadequate, contact your ISP to upgrade to a higher-level service.
- Due to its integration with G Suite, we recommend Google Chrome.
- We recommend you also have the Mozilla Firefox browser available, as a backup.
Will I need a new computer?
No, your computer does not need to be brand new – just reliable and with an operating system and specifications as listed above. If you intend to purchase a new computer, make sure you give yourself plenty of time to become familiar with it prior to beginning courses.
Do I have to have a laptop?
You are welcome to use a desktop computer at home. However, if you are in a program that includes onsite classes, you must have a laptop to bring with you.
What about a Chromebook?
Because software aside from apps available via an internet browser will be used, a Chromebook is not sufficient. Chromebook can be incompatible with some required software.
My brand new iPad will work fine, right?
Sorry, no. A hybrid/convertible laptop will be fine, but a tablet (including iPad) is not sufficient. Tablets can be incompatible with some required software.
I’ve never taken a course online. How can I prepare?
Our “Welcome to RMU!” student resource course includes specific information about multiple resources available to incoming students. In addition, at 6 weeks before the start of your program (PA students at 8-10 weeks), you will be enrolled in our required New Student Orientation course, “RMU101”. Participation in this course will give you practice with our systems and experience online.
What will I need to participate in courses online?
The most critical thing is a strong, stable internet connection. This is VITAL for all students. If your current internet signal is poor or you only have access to public WiFi, you should secure a more reliable option such as a different internet provider, a higher-level internet service contract, or a dedicated mobile hotspot.
To participate in online meetings, you need a microphone and webcam. Most laptops have these built-in. If you choose to use a desktop computer at home, you will need to obtain a headset or external microphone in order to be heard. The Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 Headset is a recommended affordable choice.
For additional questions, please email us at RMUoHP, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Jan Reese, Senior Learning Designer
Brittany Gouett, Educational Technologist
Ross Sabin, Campus Technology